Sunday, May 10, 2015

Simple Orzo and Green Pea Soup with Tarragon and Pecorino for Souper (Soup, Salad, & Sammie) Sundays

A quick and simple soup for spring, sure to comfort those sniffles and stuffy noses from allergies. This Orzo and Pea Soup comes from Moosewood Restaurant Low-Fat Favorites. The Moosewood Collective cookbooks are always my go-to cookbooks when I want a quick and easy meat-free soup. Moosewood's simple garlic broth is my go-to soup stock and I try to always have a few pints in the freezer for fast soups. You have to be a fan of green peas for this soup (my sister would hate it!) but if you are, and you use a good flavorful broth, you will like this one.


Note: I swapped out the thyme for tarragon because I had fresh tarragon on hand, it says spring, and I like the way it contrasts the sweet flavor of the peas. My changes are in red below. 


Moosewood says, "This Italian-style soup is very simple and appetizing, with sweet peas and slippery little noodle bits in a savory broth."

Simple Orzo and Pea Soup
Adapted from Moosewood Restaurant Low-Fat Favorites
(Serves 4-6)

1 tsp dried thyme (I used dried tarragon)
6 cups broth (I used Moosewood Garlic Broth)
1/2 lb (about 1 1/2 cups) orzo 
2 cups fresh or frozen green peas
(sea salt and black pepper )
grated Pecorino (optional) to garnish
(Fresh tarragon to garnish)

Add the dried thyme (tarragon) to the broth and gently heat.

Meanwhile, in a separate pot, cook the orzo until al dente--according to package instructions. Drain.

Add the cooked orzo and peas to the broth and simmer until the peas are tender but still bright green--about 1 minute for frozen peas, longer for fresh.

Serve hot, in bowls with grated Pecorino cheese (and fresh tarragon), if you wish.


Notes/Results:  Allergies and a sinus infection have hit me hard this spring, leaving me a snorty, snotty mess ;-/ so this soup with it's simple flavors and garlicky broth really hit the spot. And, green peas are surprising little nutrition powerhouses with plenty of vitamin K, C, many of the B-vitamins, fiber, folate and other minerals, and even some protein. If you want a vegan soup, leave off the Pecorino--although it adds great flavor, or if gluten-free, replace the orzo with your favorite rice. Serve with salad for a light meal. Quick and simple, I would make it again.

 
Judee of Gluten Free A-Z Blog is hanging out with me in the Souper Sundays kitchen and shares her Best Salad Making Shortcuts this week--sure to prep you for the upcoming salad season. Judee says, "Sunday night has become salad night in my house. It is the night I not only make a big colorful salad for dinner, but while I already have all the veggies out, I  also make my salads for the entire week!  One mess 5 salads!. (yes, the salads stays very fresh for the week, and I'll tell you how)."


Thanks Judee for sharing your salad skills!

If you have a soup, salad, or sandwich that you would like to share, just click on the Souper Sundays logo on the sidebar for all of the details.



Happy Mother's Day and have a happy, healthy week! 

 

3 comments:

  1. I might have that for lunch today - it sounds just the thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am LOVING peas lately so I'll have to try this! Hope you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)