Sunday, July 6, 2014

Miso Soup with Prawns and Green Tea Noodles for Souper (Soup, Salad & Sammie) Sundays


As much as I rely on a good veggie soup to get me through the week, sometimes the heart and stomach call instead for a bowl of Asian-flavored noodly soup. I had Nigel Slaters simple Miso Soup with Prawns tagged to make and since his recipe didn't call for noodles, I added my own--cooked green tea soba noodles--to make it a heartier bowl. It's still light and lovely and on the table in the time it takes to cook the noodles and heat the broth.  


Miso Soup with Prawns
Adapted from Nigel Slater via TheGuardian online
(Serves 2-3)

vegetable stock--750ml (about 3+ cups) (low-sodium)
white (shiro) miso paste--2 Tbsp
chilli sauce--2 tsp (I used
Sriracha) 
dark soy sauce--2 tsp
little gem lettuce-1 head (I subbed local baby manoa lettuce)
spring onion--1, finely sliced
large, cooked prawns--a couple of handfuls
coriander leaves--a handful

(I added cooked cha soba (Japanese green tea noodles) + sesame seeds to garnish)

Bring the stock to the boil, stir in the miso paste, the chilli sauce (I like the thicker kind) and the soy sauce. (Note from Deb: Nigel doesn't make this clear but, to avoid cooking all the good nutrients out of the miso, remove the stock from the heat when it starts to boil and stir in the miso at the last minute before serving.)

Before the broth...
 
Break up the lettuce and divide it between two bowls, together with the spring onion. Add a few large, cooked prawns to each bowl then pour over the hot miso broth. Finish with coriander, letting it wilt in the heat of the stock.


Notes/Results: A bowl that is big on satisfaction and flavor. A happy hug of noodle soup goodness. The broth has plenty of flavor from the veggie broth (use homemade or a good quality low sodium one), the soy sauce, Sriracha, cilantro and miso. The broth has a subtle heat, if you like a spicier bowl, add more chile. Want to keep it veg-friendly--replace the prawns with tofu or more veggies. Use rice noodles if you want to keep it gluten free, or leave out the noodles--you can adapt this one however you like. Love the simplicity of this one and that tasty miso-forward broth, I will make it again.  


This bowl of noodly goodness is being linked to I Heart Cooking Clubs where this coming week's theme is 'Eating Around the Globe.' Nigel and I 'hoofed it' to Asia this week. ;-) Once the post goes live, you can see where everyone traveled by checking out the picture links on the post.  


We have some soups and salads and good friends waiting in the Souper Sundays kitchen so let's take a look.


Janet of The Taste Space shares Brazilian Black Bean and Seitan Stew adapted from Afro-Vegan, a new cookbook by Bryant Terry. She says, "Now I am sharing another great soup, which I simplified by skipping the dumplings. This black bean stew, inspired by the Brazilian feijoada, is more tomato-heavy than my previous versions, but still nice and hearty and simple enough for an easy meal."


 
Mireille of Chef Mireille's East West Realm is here with African Black Eyed Pea Soup and says, "Even in summer, when it is rainy outside as it is today, a bowl of soup can hit the spot - even on Independence Day - so what if it's not colored red, white and blue :) ... This recipe isn't particular to any country in Africa, but more a general recipe using ingredients common in African cuisine. Black eyed peas are one of the most common legumes used throughout the continent and this soup is a perfect way to utilize it."



Tigerfish of Teczcape-An Escape to Food brings her special Chickpea Salad and says, "Chickpeas (a.k.a Garbanzo beans, or commonly known as Channa in Indian cuisine), red bell peppers, red onions (or shallots), and fresh parsley or cilantro are easily available ingredients from the grocery store but their nutrition and natural flavors are not at all ordinary. The dressing is also quite an extra-ordinary blend of organic cold-pressed flax oil, organic raw apple cider vinegar and raw honey."


 
Judee of Gluten Free A-Z Blog made this simple salad of Broccoli Rabe Tossed in Pesto and says, "You know you want to eat more greens, so don't be intimidated if you've never made broccoli rabe before.  This is an easy recipe that is really tasty. Do you like Italian food? It doesn't get more Italian than tossing broccoli rabe, broccoli or broccolini  in a delicious pesto sauce. Because of all the variety of fresh greens, this recipe provides lots of energy giving chlorophyll and nutrients while the basil flavor is a little milder."



Pam of Sidewalk Shoes shares a healthy-hearty Farro and Sweet Potato Salad and says, "Unfortunately I had already used my barley for another salad, but I had plenty of farro around and since I’ve found that most grains are somewhat interchangeable, I went with the substitution.   All I can say is that I don’t know how good this is with barley, but it is amazing with farro.  I cooked the farro (which by the way, I found organic in a large bag at Costco) al dente so it had a nice toothsome bite.  I also roasted the sweet potatoes instead of sautéing them in a pan like the author calls for.


Thanks to everyone who joined in this week. If you have a soup, salad, or sandwich that you would like to share, just click on the Souper Sundays logo on the side bar for all of the details.

Have a happy, healthy week.
 

13 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious, I've never tried green tea noodles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great roundup! I really love the flavors in your soup!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gluten Free A-Z BlogJuly 6, 2014 at 3:04 PM

    Deb.
    Your photos are amazing. I could just dig right in that beautiful soup right now. !Your Souper Sunday features all look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That soup looks lovely - there are definitely times when only noodles will do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. www.teczcape.blogspot.comJuly 6, 2014 at 5:05 PM

    The miso soup with prawns and cha soba sounds delicious, and I know it is delicious :) Thanks for the round-up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think I've ever seen lettuce IN soup! And miso-based broth always sounds good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely, fresh, and beautiful bowl of soup!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely, fresh, and beautiful bowl of soup!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful soup! I love your addition of noodles to make it a more complete meal. I've never made soup with miso in it so appreciate the tip about adding it in at the end....I'll keep it in mind for when I do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Noodles and prawns in a soup, what a nice meal.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Deb,
    Such a delicious bowl of noodles soup! A great idea with the addition of noodles to make a full meal on its own!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Couscous & ConsciousnessJuly 19, 2014 at 12:23 PM

    That's a fantastic soup, Deb and I know I would adore this one - actually I have everything on hand for this, so it might be lunch today. I love that you added noodles - especially green tea sobas which are my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Visited a huge Asian market this past wknd and found, finally, some Miso paste. This looks the perfect dish to try it with. I am a Miso newbie.

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)