Thursday, February 9, 2012

Puréed Yellow Split Peas (Fava)--Creamy Comfort Food

A quick post for an insane week. These Puréed Yellow Split Peas are a creamy mashed potato like comfort food dish from Food From Many Greek Kitchens. I left out the olive oil so that it complies with my Engine 2 challenge guidelines. I ate it as a main dish with a side of veggie broth sautéed collard greens and it made a nourishing and filling dinner.


Tessa says, "In Greece, fava refers to dried yellow split peas that, when boiled, melt into a creamy purée. This is great splashed with olive oil, pepper, capers and chunks of sweet red onions. It can be served as a meze with bread and cheese. It also works beautifully next to a main course, for example with grilled lamb cutlets."


Puréed Yellow Split Peas
Adapted from Food From Many Greek Kitchens
(Makes 4 Cups)

1 lb 2 oz yellow split peas
1 small red onion, peeled
2 garlic cloves, peeled
About 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
(I added 1/2 cup almond milk to make it creamier/smoother)
olive oil for serving
(omitted)
1 large red onion, sliced, for serving
handful of capers with leaves for serving

Rinse the fava, then put into a pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil. Drain and give the lava a shower in a colander. Rinse out the pot, put the fava back in and add four cups of hot water. Bring to a boil, add the whole onion and garlic and simmer, partly covered, for about 30 minutes. Remove the lid and simmer over low heat, stirring from time to time, for about 30 minutes more or until all the water has been absorbed and it starts glooping on the surface.

Stir in the salt to taste. Discard the onion and garlic cloves (Note: I left the garlic cloves in), and pulse the fava, with a hand-held blender if you have one, or in a food processor until smooth like soft mashed potato--much will have collapsed on its own and it may not even be necessary to purée. Leave it to sit for a bit, then spoon into a serving dish. Drizzle a good amount of olive oil over the top. Serve warm with the onion slices, capers, and a grinding of pepper.

Note: If you have made it beforehand, you will need to add some water and beat it to thin out again to a soft creamy mash, as it will have set in a clump.


Notes/Results: Simple, creamy and good. A couple of cooking notes--I had to cook my fava an additional 20 minutes to get it to the creamy texture I wanted, as well as adding about 1/2 cup of almond milk to make it moist. I also left the garlic cloves in and pureed it along with the peas.The puréed lentils are good, but when eaten with the caper and onion topping, it tastes even better. Although this recipe is isn't anything fancy, it hit the spot, has more fiber, protein, and other nutrients than mashed potatoes, and it is my contribution to this week's Potluck theme at I Heart Cooking Clubs.


You can check out the Potluck creations that the other IHCC participants made by going to the post and following the links.

13 comments:

  1. It's like mashed potatoes but with TONS of protein added in! And fiber! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the color and the goodies on top. Simplicity at it's best...delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. would have never thought to puree peas for a mashed "potato", nice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am always looking for healthy side dishes, which is how I would probably serve this. Sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this as an alternative to mashed potatoes. The toppings not only look great, but I can imagine that they add a nice layer of briny sharpness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lovely creamy dish, good side alternative too. I like the addition of the capers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always enjoyed making yellow split pea soup, but never thought to make a mash of them. It looks just like polenta. Since capers are my new favorite, I think I'm going to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks creamy and yummy! I've never had yellow split peas, will have to keep my eyes opened for them so I can give this a try. Good for you for keeping up with the challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Every time I open up her Greek cookbook I always want to make these. Trouble is I can never find the favas, but I do think I can find yellow split peas. I love the color of this recipe. It just looks so gorgeous all plated up.

    P.S. Those are some gorgeous capers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I got totally addicted to this stuff in Greece last year. I've got this one bookmarked.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know I always say I love beans, but yellow split peas are definitely one of my favourites! The capers and red onion look great! If you like split pea puree, you may also really like Ethiopian Kik Alicha, which is definitely one of my favourites. :)

    Gotta love simple peasant food as its finest (and healthiest!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmmm...this looks so creamy. Have printed it off (since this is a Tessa cookbook I don't have). I just bought some a big bag of yellow split peas so this will be the perfect recipe to try!

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)