Saturday, May 15, 2010

Elderflower-Lemon Cooler: A Simple Saturday Sipper and the Perfect Cocktail to Welcome Summer Weather


This week's Simple Saturday Sipper comes from my newest issue of Donna Hay magazine. Having purchased a large, gorgeous bottle of St. Germain Elderflower Liqueur a while back for another recipe, I was happy to see this Elderflower-Lemon Cooler, another way to use up the liqueur. A pretty cocktail and a fun drink to welcome the warm summer weather!


The magazine says, "In my book, a good summer garden party needs a good signature cocktail. I like to serve something a little unique and super refreshing but without a long list of ingredients. Something you can throw in a jug and serve easily. This is going to be my cooler of choice--it's full of tart, lemony goodness with a nice sweet honey kick from the elderflower liqueur and the strawberry. Bring on summer, I say!" --Stylist Lucy

Elderflower-Lemon Cooler
Donna Hay Magazine--Issue 49
(Serves 4)

Method: Combine 1 Tbsp caster (superfine) sugar, 1/2 cup (125 ml) each vodka and St. Germain Elderflower liqueur and 1/4 cup (60 ml) lemon juice. Pour into glasses over crushed ice, lemon and strawberry slices. For a longer drink. serve in tall glasses and top up with soda water. Serves 4.

Note: You can also use elderflower cordial for a lighter, less alcoholic version of this drink.


Notes/Results: Delicious! This cocktail is light and sweet without being cloying. The floral-fruit taste of the elderflower partners well with the lemon and berries. I used a lemon vodka for a bit more citrus taste and used 1/2 Tbsp of agave in place of the sugar. The slices of strawberry were a delicious treat in this drink. (I used local Kula strawberries). This would be a great cocktail to make up in a big batch and serve at a party. I will be making this tasty drink throughout the summer.

Happy Saturday!

10 comments:

  1. Between you and Pam I'm on Donna Hay overload this week! Not that that's a bad thing... This sounds so incredibly refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks nice! I am not a fan of elderflower cordial because I think it overwhelms everything, but I think as a liqueur it'd be lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooh, I've been LOVING St Germaine lately! Nie one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your sippers are usually lovely to look at. This one is gorgeous. I'll have to give this one a try. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful photos, very inspirational!
    I like your recipe, will have to try it, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so pretty. I love the taste and scent of elderflowers. Elderflower cordial was easily available when I live din London. I haven't been able to find any since moving back to the US. It has such a light and freshing taste.

    Deb - I nominated you for an award over on my blog, if you wanted to take a look.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've sent you an entry for souper sunday..

    ReplyDelete
  8. loving this drink! I think I'll serve it for our memorial day bbq

    ReplyDelete
  9. Light, fruity and sweet...great cocktail for the summer.

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)