Saturday, January 30, 2010

Lemongrass-Gingermint Infusion Tea: A Calming "Simple Saturday Sipper"

Simple infusions with fresh ingredients can provide lots of flavor and pleasure as is the case of this mix of lemongrass, ginger, mint leaves and lemon, with a touch of raw honey for a bit of sweetness. From "The Eat Clean Diet Recharged!" by Tosca Reno, it is the perfect drink to relax over after a large meal as not only does it taste good, it aids in digestion too.


Lemongrass-Gingermint Infusion Tea
"The Eat Clean Diet Recharged!" by Tosca Reno
(Makes 1 Cup)

2 tsp / 10 ml dried lemongrass
3-5 fresh mint leaves
3 slices fresh ginger, thinly spiced
1 cup / 240 ml boiling water
juice of 1/2 fresh lemon
2 tsp / 10 ml honey (optional)

Spoon the lemongrass, mint and ginger into a mug. Pour hot water over the mix and let sit for five minutes. Strain out the lemongrass, mint and ginger. Squeeze lemon juice into the infusion and add honey if you need a sweet kick. Now sit back, relax and enjoy.

Notes/Results: Mmm...and Ahhh... After a busy week of running around and rushing about, relaxing over this simple drink is a great way to end the week. Great for when you want to drink something with flavor but no caffeine. Although I have teapots galore, I have an extra small French press / coffee press that I like to use for teas and herbal infusions like this one. Since it self-strains, it's quick and easy and works like a charm. (Just make sure it isn't the same one you brew coffee in--coffee oils are difficult to completely remove even with a thorough cleaning of the screens and it can negatively impact the flavor of your infusion). The recipe calls for dried lemongrass but since I had some fresh stalks, I replaced the dried with one stalk, trimmed, peeled and cut. This blend works well over ice too.

A few sips, a couple of "ohms" and I am in my zen happy place.

Happy Weekend!

10 comments:

  1. great tip about using the coffee press!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only ever had lemongrass in Thai food...never on it's own as a FLAVOR. Sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deb, another spectacular 'sipper' that will bring a bit of spring into my cold snowy weekend here in the southeast. This will definitely warm me up... Many thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delicious! I have two tea presses and at least two coffee presses that we should really use more often.
    I love the flavour in this tea. I hope to be able to find dried lemongrass again one day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pick Deb! A great calming and soothing, but also bright and fresh. A perfect pick me up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could have used one of those after my crazy week.

    And a shot of vodka would have helped too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh love the idea of lemongrass in a drink

    ReplyDelete
  8. lemongrass is good in everything! Refreshing drink and idea too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw fresh lemongrass at the market the other day for the first time ever. I haven't seen dried but when I do, I'll pick some up so I can try this "sipper".

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)