Thursday, January 28, 2010

It's More Soba..."Eat Clean" Sesame Noodles

I seem to be on a soba noodle kick lately and why not? Buckwheat soba noodles have good protein, are low on the glycemic index and rich in magnesium and maganese. I also am on a quest to find my favorite sesame / nut butter noodle. These Sesame Noodles from "The Eat Clean Diet Recharged!" by Tosca Reno are served hot and use almond butter, although the author also suggests trying them with any natural nut butter.

Tosca Reno says, "Any recipe with nut sauce tastes decadent to me. Substituting peanut butter for almond gives this easy-to-prepare classic Asian noodle dish a rich nutty twist. Try it with cashew butter for even more variety, and pair it with leftover veggies and chicken or shrimp to round out the meal."


Sesame Noodles
"The Eat Clean Diet Recharged" by Tosca Reno
(Makes 2 Cups / 4 Servings)

2 Tbsp / 30 ml tahini
2 Tbsp / 30 ml almond butter (or other natural nut butter of choice)
2 Tbsp / 30 ml brown rice vinegar
1 Tbsp / 15 ml agave nectar
2 Tbsp / 30 ml low-sodium tamari
1 tsp / 5 ml roasted sesame seed oil
1 (8 oz) package soba noodles cooked according to package instructions
2 Tbsp / 30 ml sesame seeds, toasted (black or white or combination of both)
sea salt to taste

In a medium saucepan combine tahini, almond butter, brown rice vinegar, agave nectar, tamari and sesame seed oil. Whisk mixture over gentle heat until well combined and a smooth sauce results.

Add cooked soba noodles to sauce and toss to coat. Sprinkle noodles with toasted sesame seeds and season with sea salt. Serve hot.

Nutritional Value Per Serving (1/2 cup): Calories: 194, Calories from Fat: 102, Protein: 7g, Carbs: 17g, Total Fat: 0g, Sat. Fat: 1.5g, Trans Fat: 0g, Fiber: 2g, Sodium: 480mg, Cholesterol: Omg, Sugar: 0g

Notes/Results: Good. I still think Nigella's simpler. lighter Soba Noodles with Sesame Seeds are my favorite lately, but these are tasty and I appreciate the fact they are lower in sodium and sugar than many similar recipes. After tasting them, I added a bit of crushed red pepper flakes and liked them even more with the little kick. I would make them again, maybe trying cashew butter for a change.

15 comments:

  1. Yum - I am all for a good bowl of noodles!
    Love the nut butter, I think I will try Nigella's since your recommend it so highly. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the best goal I've seen - trying to find the best nut butter/noodle recipe. You are a girl after my own heart.

    I need to try more nut butters in general. Cashew butter, for instance.

    Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love sesame noodles and this recipe looks fabulous, with all of it's variations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, soba with almond butter? That sounds great. I haven't made soba in a while. I need to get my hands on some. I actually find it much harder to locate here than I did when I was in Brazil.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now I just have to find that brown rice vinegar and Tahini. I really love siba noodles and need to get in the habbit of eating them more. Thanks for this recipe Deb.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfect! I perked up even more when reading the quote about substituting cashew butter, which I always have on hand (my fave nut butter). Mmmmm . . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Deb ~ Do you deliver? This sounds incredible...

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds really good. I've never eaten soba noodles, thinking they were not as healthy as other pasta-substitutes. I might have to give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also love Nigella's sesame noodles. I love the idea of finding the best sesame noodle recipe. There would be a lot of fun experimenting involved with that. Plus, this is a great meal that meets your dairy free requirement! I see a sesame noodle throwdown in your future;D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very interesting with a healthy background...taking a leaf or all of 'em from ur book of thoughts on food....

    ReplyDelete
  11. These really sound good with tahini and nut butter! I haven't had either one with noodles before.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I didn't know that buckwheat is low on the glycemic index - David will be happy to know that, since he is on a restricted diet right now.

    Thanks for the information!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The flavor of this sauce must be really nice. It sounds very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I came across your blog while looking for some recipes with noodles and liked a lot. How amazing! I will keep an eye on your post.

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)