Friday, September 25, 2009

A Tyler "Twofer"--Veal Saltimbocca Alla Romana & Roasted Fingerling Potatoes with Fresh Herbs and Garlic

This week I have two recipes for Tyler Florence Fridays. The first, Veal Saltimbocca Alla Romana is a repeat for me, I made it back in December of last year and really enjoyed it, and recently found myself craving it again. I decided to serve it with Tyler's Roasted Fingerling Potatoes with Fresh Herbs and Garlic, (substituting some baby Yukon gold potatoes for the fingerlings). My Mom arrived today for a visit and I thought that these two dishes, combined with a simple salad, would be an easy but delicious dinner for her first night.


The recipes can be found at Food Network, the veal here and the potatoes here.

Veal Saltimbocca Alla Romana
Eat This Book, Tyler Florence
(Serves 4)

4 (5-ounce) thinly sliced veal cutlets (scallopini)
4 slices thinly sliced prosciutto
8 fresh sage leaves, plus more for garnish
All-purpose flour, for dredging
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons dry white wine
1/4 cup chicken broth
Lemon wedges, for serving

Put the veal cutlets side by side on a sheet of plastic wrap. Lay a piece of prosciutto on top of each piece of veal and cover with another piece of plastic. Gently flatten the cutlets with a rolling pin or meat mallet, until the pieces are about 1/4-inch thick and the prosciutto has adhered to the veal. Remove the plastic wrap and lay a couple of sage leaves in the center of each cutlet. Weave a toothpick in and out of the veal to secure the prosciutto and sage.


Roasted Fingerling Potatoes with Fresh Herbs and Garlic
Tyler's Ultimate, Tyler Florence
(Makes 2-4 servings)

2 pints fingerling potatoes
2 sprigs fresh rosemary
2 to 3 sprigs fresh sage
3 sprigs fresh thyme
6 cloves garlic, left unpeeled
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus for sheet pan
Salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 500 degrees F and place a baking sheet inside to heat. Add potatoes, rosemary, sage, thyme, and garlic to a medium bowl. Drizzle with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Remove sheet pan from oven, lightly coat with olive oil, and pour potatoes onto pan. Place potatoes in oven and reduce heat to 425 degrees F. Roast for 20 minutes, or until crispy on outside and tender on inside.


Notes/Results:  Delicious dinner. Saltimbocca means "jumps in mouth" and once again, this recipe certainly did. The veal cutlets at Whole Foods were pretty tiny, even pounded and rolled out, so I used just a half piece of prosciutto on each. They were incredibly tender though and paired so nicely with the sage. In addition to serving it with a wedge of lemon, I like to add the juice of a lemon to the sauce and find that it really brightens the dish. If you don't do veal, try the recipe with chicken, so you don't miss out. For the potatoes, although the recipe doesn't say to cut them, I like crispy sides, so I cut them in half and placed them on the pre-heated pan cut side down for about 25 minutes and they were perfect. To get some green on the plate, I made a simple salad of lettuce from my CSA box and local tiny sweet tomatoes with a vinaigrette dressing. A wonderful dinner that only looks like you made an effort, and my Mom loved it. Both recipes are keepers for me.


You can check out what the rest of our TFF members made this week and what they thought of their recipe picks by going to the TFF site here.

17 comments:

  1. delicious way to welcome your mom :) enjoy your time together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love veal so much. I keep stalking the Whole Foods meat counter, waiting patiently for the day that it will be until $25 a pound. Eventually I will probably just given in. Saltimbocca is one of my favorite Italian dishes - great recipe to serve to your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great welcome meal! I can't believe it has been almost a year since you made the saltimbocca and I still haven't tried it yet. Where does the time go?
    I will join Joanne in stalking the butcher for some veal, this is on the must-make list.
    ps, do I get this meal when I come to Hawaii? :)
    Have fun with your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm! I remember the Saltimbocca! Looks like the perfect meal to welcome mom back to paradise!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum- Have a wonderful time with your Mom! This meal looks wonderful and dining with Mom makes everything taste better. Enjoy the visit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is one I've beenw anting to try for awhile, but veal is very hard to come by around here. I have done the potatoes, though, and they are yummy!
    Great job on the photos - you're putting us all to shame!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a scrumptious meal. Unfortunately, veal is not available in my area so I'll have to substitute turkey. The potatoes look wonderful and will be "field tested" :-). Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful meal! They both look absolutely delicious. Enjoy your time with your Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  9. yummy! veal saltimboca is one of my favorite italian dishes. Looks so good with the sage!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Saltimbocca is one of David's favorites.I suppose I should break down and learn how to make it!

    Enjoy your mom's visit.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! I can just imagine how good everything was!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a meal! This looks delicious. I've not cooked much with veal at all. This is definitely one to try.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the photo of the roasted potatoes. It's never occurred to me to preheat the oven higher than when you are cooking them. Does this process help create a crispier crust? Thanks for sharing, I will try this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've actually never made veal before, but I think I'll have to give this a try! And, your roasted potatoes look amazing, too! What a great combo!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Tylers recipe for Saltimbocca is great isn't it! I'll have to try the potatoes soon. They look so good.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh yum! I love saltimbocca! This is quite similar to the way I do it, although I usually just deglaze the pan with a bit of wine and call it a sauce.

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)