Thursday, September 24, 2009

Indian-Spiced Fish "Tacos" with Curried Tomato Yogurt Sauce--From Indecision Comes Inspiration

A stop by Whole Foods on my way home today led me by the fish counter where they had a good price on fresh, local opah (moonfish). Opah is perfect for making fish tacos so I bought a piece for dinner, intending to knock some quick tacos out. By the time I got home, tacos sounded good but my mood shifted and I kind of wanted curry and I thought I might use the opah in a fish curry of some sort instead. Tacos or curry? Curry or tacos? I just couldn't decide which sounded better. Finally I thought, why not have them both and make Indian-Spiced Fish "Tacos" using my favorite Whole Foods whole wheat naan bread? Perfect! I had some leftover tomato puree from making pan con tomates  that needed to be used so I added curry powder and non-fat Greek yogurt to make a flavorful sauce. In about 15 minutes, I had a delicious dish on the table and both cravings were fulfilled. 


Indian-Spiced Fish "Tacos" with Curried Tomato Yogurt Sauce
by Deb, Kahakai Kitchen
(Serves 2)

8 ounces firm fish of your choice (I used opah)
1/3 cup whole wheat flour
1 Tbsp curry powder
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
olive oil or pan spray
2 whole wheat naan or flatbread
eCurried Tomato Yogurt Sauce (recipe below)
shredded green lettuce
parsley or cilantro for garnish

Cut fish into thin slices. Mix whole wheat flour, curry, turmeric, cumin, cayenne, salt and pepper together and place in a shallow bowl or plate. Dredge fish pieces in flour mixture, coating both sides and set aside. Heat a pan over medium-high heat and add a light coating of olive oil or pan spray. Add fish pieces and cook about 3 minutes per side (depending on thickness of fish) until fish is cooked through and flaky. Drain on paper towel covered plate. Warm naan in oven or in pan on stove. Spread warmed naan with the Curried Tomato Yogurt Sauce. On one side, add shredded lettuce, parsley or cilantro and top with fish. Fold and enjoy!


Curried Tomato Yogurt Sauce
by Deb, Kahakai Kitchen
(makes a bit more than 1/2 cup)

3 Tbsp tomato puree (fresh baby Roma tomatoes whirred in the mini chop and seasoned with salt and pepper).
1 tsp curry powder
1/2 cup non-fat Greek yogurt

Blend tomato puree, curry powder and yogurt together in a bowl. Season to taste with additional salt & pepper if needed. Serve


Notes/Results: YUM! These tacos were delicious, a great combination of flavors and textures. The lightly spicy fish, combined with the crunchy lettuce and cool yogurt sauce was perfect in the soft, warm naan bread. I was going for speed, ease and what I had on hand here but you could add more veggies, lentils, even some chutney for a little sweetness to change it up a bit. A very quick, yummy dinner that is pretty healthy too. I will make these again. 

11 comments:

  1. Wow! These look out of this world. Fusion tacos...nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spur of the moment dishes like this are often the best - necessity is the mother of invention, as they say. The breaded fish is making me drool and that sauce sounds fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great way to soothe two different cravings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant!
    I love Indian flavours. I think that, instead of being a Canadian gal with long ago and largely forgotten Celtic roots, I should have been born to a father from Italy and a mother from India. They are my most comforting go-to foods, and I love how you fused the Indian flavours with the Cali/Mex fish tacos. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mahalo! I've run into moonfish at Whole Foods and always wondered how to best prepare this fish. This is such a creative idea! I look forward to trying it the next time I have moonfish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow i am making this one awesome !!! will bookmark it thanks Deb

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love love love fish tacos! This twist on the classic looks really good! I love how you were creative enough to let your cravings come together in a new dish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What wonderful flavors. I love that yogurt sauce. Who knew - fusion tacos:-). You did a really nice job here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yummie, these fish tacos with Indian spices look absolutely delicious...great mix of Indian and Mexican styles.a

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this recipe - we get the most perfect naan bread at Wegmans and my whole family really likes anything I will make with this naan and this Indian-spiced fish "tacos" they will totally adore!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful creation! Fish tacos are a new-found favorite for me. I love curry too so to put them together is perfect in my opinion. Sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)