Sunday, January 11, 2009

Souper (Soup, Salad & Sammie ) Sundays--Details and Guidelines

Since interest in Souper Sundays has been steadily growing and I have had several requests for more information, structure and details, here is everything you need to know (and have not been afraid to ask) about Souper Sundays.

(See update at the bottom of the post for the newest Souper--Now Souper (Soup, Salad & Sammie) Sunday information!)


What is "Souper Sundays"?: A weekly blog event that started because of my love of soup and a desire to work through the many soup and soup-like recipes in my cookbooks and magazines, I set a goal to make a soup or "soupish" dish each week and post it each Sunday and invite others to do the same. I do a round up of all the participants each week on Sunday afternoon (Hawaii time!) and link back to each participant's blog and their soup post. (Now Souper Sunday is open to soups, salads and sandwiches or sammies--see details below)

What counts as a soup?: Soups of course but also chowders, stews, "stroups", soupy slow cooker dishes, etc. Really anything that is comfort food, brothy or saucy or eaten with a spoon or served in a bowl. If you aren't sure if what you made counts--just ask!

Do I have to make or post my soup (or salad or sammie) on Sunday?: Nope! You can make and post your soup any time during the round-up week, as long as it is posted and you have sent me your details (see below) no later than 12:00 Noon (Hawaii Standard Time) for that Sunday's round up.

What do I need to do to participate?: Either leave a comment on my blog or send an email to Debinhawaii@gmail.com by 12:00 noon (that's HST--Hawaii Standard Time which this time of year is now 3 hours earlier than PST Pacific Standard Time) on Sunday to be included in that weeks round up. (Emails are preferred to ensure I don't miss your comment).

Emails or comments should include:
  • your name,
  • your blog's name and URL
  • a link/URL to your soup, (or salad or sammie) post
  • a picture of your dish (or indicate which picture on your post you want to use if there is more than one picture of your soup, salad or sammie) (Your photo will be posted as a medium-sized photo on the round-up so please send a 350 x 450 size)
On your soup's post:
  • mention Souper (Soup, Salad & Sammies) Sundays in your post
  • mention Kahakai Kitchen and link to my blog: http://kahakaikitchen.blogspot.com/ in your post as well.
  • you are welcome to add the wonderful Souper Sundays logo (created by Ivy at Kopiaste) to your post and blog (optional)

Can I send you old posts of soups I have made before?
Just to keep things fresh and current please send just new posts of your soups, salads and sandwiches or posts within the current month rather than old posts.

Can I participate in Souper Sundays if I made my soup, salad or sandwich for another event?
Sure! The more events the merrier! ;-) Just make sure that you include a mention of Kahakai Kitchen and Souper Sundays and a link to it in your post along with the information you post for your other event(s).


I don't think I can make a soup every Sunday--can I still participate?
Of course! Come by whenever you want to share a soup. That's the great thing about soup--it feeds a little or a lot. Now that we are also accepting salads and sandwiches or "sammies", hopefully you can stop by more often!

Hopefully that answers all of your Souper (Soup, Salad & Sammie) Sunday questions!
I hope to share some soup with you soon!

------------

---Update---

Beginning Sunday, May 3rd 2009, Souper Sundays will be opened up to: Souper (Soup, Salad and Sammie) Sundays. This means that you can submit your favorite soup (or chili, or stew or other soup-like dish), salad (any kind--green, fruit, pasta), or sandwich (the sky is the limit!), or any combination of the above.

Although soup will still be the main focus, adding salads and sandwiches will open it up so that others who might not make soup as often in the warmer weather can participate. Plus who doesn't love a good salad or sammie recipe?!

The same posting guidelines (above) apply.

Hope to see you at Souper (Soup, Salad and Sammie) Sunday with your favorite recipe(s)!




Aloha & Mahalo!

Deb (Aka Deb in Hawaii)

33 comments:

  1. Thanks for giving us all the details!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely, Deb, it's thorough and you have included everything that needs to be included. I have created a discussion on BloggerAid "Are you hosting an Event?". Please add it there as well so that others may find out about it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! I try to serve a soup every week for the 3rd year, but always failed ...Perhaps I do better this year!

    Ulrike from Küchenlatein

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh! I love making soup - I'd love to participate in this (although I can guarantee that I'll be as diligent as intended!) Can I send something that was posted in the past?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard about your web site and finally found a link to it on Girlichefs page today. I really enjoyed your web site. I just happened to post a soup recipe on my blog today (and I linked it back to your page).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thaks for all the info. I am a soup-o-holic but tend towards salds in the summer months. But I will be visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! I have a "Souper Thursday" group with some friends. I was quite excited to come across your group. Is it alright for me to participate, just on a Thursday?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Soup lady happens to be one of my mother in laws, her name is Deb. She has recently started a blog after years of my encouragement. Her food is always a treat. It is creative, comforting, and totally from hands that love.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this idea! I am such a soup person!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely concept dear. I am following your blog and will look for all thre roundups you might have done since announcing it and will try to participate as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi!!! I just found you, and love the Souper Sundays idea!

    My blog is Food Floozie -- foodfloozie.blogspot.com (and you can follow me on twitter, too: @foodfloozie). Here's the link to my Curried Lentil soup post -- http://foodfloozie.blogspot.com/2010/04/if-its-saturday-there-may-be-time-to.html

    You can use the picture of the soup which is right next to the recipe ... :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Name : Nithu Bala
    Blog Name : Nithu's Kitchen
    Blog URL : http://www.nithubala.com/
    Recipe-1 URL: http://www.nithubala.com/2010/05/spicy-fruit-salad.html

    Recipe-2 URL: http://www.nithubala.com/2010/04/cauliflower-orange-salad.html

    (Use any picture you like in the second salad)

    First time here, just get to see the event details just now from one of my wonderful blogger friend. Hope I've sent the details just on time:-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Came to know about your event from one of the blog friends while I was blog hopping.Will try to send in my entries for the coming week.Do you accept entries from archives.
    Following you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Kiran,
    Thanks for you interest. Typically I prefer a new entry although an entry within a week or two of the round-up would be OK. It's also helpful if you email it into me rather than leaving the comments here to ensure I get it in time.

    Aloha,

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  15. hi..iam new to your blog and i cant take my eyes off it ! the pics and recipes looks so amazing and eye catching !... i just want to know if this "Souper Sundays" event is still open? iam a soup lover and would love to post my recipes too :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Reshmi,

    Thank you for the positive feedback. Yes, every Sunday I post the soups, salads and sandwiches I have received for the week. Any week you want to join in--just follow the steps on the detail page and make sure to let me know before the deadline.

    Aloha,

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi, Just came to know about your event, would love to participate in your event, can send soups with Non-Vegetarian.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Umm,

    Anyone is welcome to join and send a recent soup (or salad, or sandwich) they have made. if you look through some of the past weeks you'll see we have all kinds of soups--both have vegan, vegetarian and non-vegetarian--it's pretty mixed. When you have a dish you want to share--follow the instructions which are on this details page and make sure you let me know before the deadline for that week. (Email is best so I am more sure to get it.)

    Aloha,

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great idea and thanks for the details! I look forward to checking out all the entries this week:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. gr8 idea it is continued. i can send it now
    ist time here my blog
    satoshbangar.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. I always prefer to read the quality content and this thing I found in you post.I liked the posts and cool layout you have here! I would like to thank you for sharing your experience and the time it took to post!! Two Thumbs up!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Kahakai kitchen/ Debin, just chanced upon your blog. Loved the posts. I am sending an entry for this event, to you.
    Wish you a very happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  23. soup is my favorite food. I make homemade soup every Monday~love to see this! I will participate in this for certain.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Just came across your blog.....it must be awesome to live in a dream place like hawaii....am jealous..;)
    will try to send some recipe for this sunday :)

    Please do chk out my blog


    Ankita
    http://eat-hearty.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  25. First time on your blog came to from Ayeesha's blog ( Taste of Pearl City) Nice event and will send my entries after I am back ( I will be taking a break for a couple of weeks)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Incidentally, I like the way you
    have structured your site, it is super and very easy to follow. I have bookmarked you and will be back regularly. Thank you


    Life For Rent | Life For Rent

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi, Nice event Blog you have,

    First time on your blog came to from ( Taste of Pearl City)and I will send my entries.

    http://hyderabadicuisinerecipes-angel.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  28. I sent you a salad contribution yesterday: just making sure you've received it :) Let me know if otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Jessi Reil de OlveraJuly 9, 2012 at 1:22 PM

    Hi, I would love to join in this week if I can.

    My name is Jessi Reil de Olvera and my blog is Whats Cookin' SMA.  This week I made Posole Rojo inspired by Rick Bayless' recipe.  http://whatscookinsma.blogspot.mx/2012/07/soups-sides-with-i-heart-cooking-clubs.html  Use any of the last two pictures on the post please :)

    Thank you and I will certainly be back with more posts :)

    Jessi

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Deb,
    Just checking - have you discontinued Souper Sunday?

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Deb,
    Just checking - have you discontinued Souper Sunday?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judee, I just posted an update. I am undecided about what I want to do but I put up a link while I decide if you'd like to join in. Mahalo, Deb

      Delete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)