Thursday, May 1, 2008

Mango-Pineapple Lassi

When its a warm, slightly muggy day (like today was) even if I am hungry I want something easy, light and cooling for dinner. That's when I make a lassi. A lassi, if you aren't familiar, is an Indian drink, traditionally made by blending yogurt, water, salt and spices until frothy. Nowadays they often contain fruit and honey or sugar to sweeten them. I make them with all kinds of fresh and frozen fruit; mango, pineapple, strawberries, cherries, etc. One of my favorite combos is mango and pineapple. Tonight I wanted it quick and simple so I used frozen organic mango chunks and crushed pineapple, honey and rose water and cardamon to give it an "exotic" taste. This recipe makes about 2 cups so you can reduce it by half or keep the extra up to 24 hours in the fridge. I drink it on it's own or pair it with some hummus and chips for a light meal.

Mango-Pineapple Lassi
1 cup plain yogurt (I usually use low fat Greek yogurt)
1/3 cup nonfat milk (I often use almond milk)
1/2 cup frozen mango chunks
1/2 cup canned crushed pineapple in it's own juice 
1 Tbsp honey
1 Tbsp rose water (optional)
1 tsp ground cardamon

Place all ingredients in blender and blend about 1-2 minutes until well blended and frothy. Pour into a glass and serve. 

*You can replace the mango and pineapple with one cup of the fruit (or fruits) of your choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)