Friday, April 18, 2008

Tuna (or Salmon) with Burnt Lemon & Caper Dressing


I love reading Delicious Magazine from New Zealand--why are the food magazines from New Zealand and Australia always so much better? A recipe for Smoked Salmon with Burnt Lemon & Caper Dressing from the March 2008 issue caught my eye as I love most anything that has lemon and capers in it. I didn't have smoked salmon but did have some small tuna medallions that I thought would work well. It turned out great, caramelizing the lemons added a whole new layer of flavor and adding the fresh herbs to the baby salad leaves made the whole dish taste of springtime. It was very quick and easy and I will definitely try it again with the smoked salmon this time. The recipe below is from the magazine with my modifications noted at the bottom.

Smoked Salmon with Burnt Lemon & Caper Dressing
2 lemons, halved
1 tbs capers, rinsed and drained
2 tbs honey
1 tbs Dijon mustard
100 ml (about 3 1/2 oz) extra-virgin olive oil*
salt & pepper to taste
4 cups mixed baby greens
300g (10.5 oz) smoked salmon*
1/4 cup each of dill sprigs, flat-leaf parsley, chervil sprigs, and coriander (cilantro) leaves*

Heat a pan over high heat. Cook lemon halves, cut side down for 4 minutes until caramelized. Remove from heat, cool slightly, then juice lemons into a bowl. Add capers, honey, mustard and oil. Whisk to combine, then season with salt & pepper to taste. Divide salad leaves among 4 plates. Place folds of salmon on top and scatter with herbs. Drizzle with dressing and serve immediately.

*I felt like this was a bit too much olive oil for me and since I was making it for two and needed a smaller portion of dressing anyway, I put in about 1/4 cup. As I did, you could substitute any cooked fish for the smoked salmon. I baked my tuna medallions in a 375 degree oven for about 10-11 minutes. For the herbs, I only had dill and cilantro and I mixed them in with the baby lettuce leaves and put the fish on top.

Recipe from Delicious Magazine, Issue 69, March 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)